Friday, June 3, 2011

Teacher glossary #2: Matthew King


My hunt for the perfect professor for next fall continues. Today I´ve been looking abit into Matthew King. He seems to share my interest (or tendency) to write theatrical-ish music. Here are some bits of reviews:

"Music of distinctive beauty with disarming theatre sense”
Independent on Sunday

"clever, sharp and fresh, bursting with memorable melody…it signals the emergence of a composer who writes not only credibly and well but with immediate, engaging charm”
Independent

“King’s music is eminently approachable…some of the clashing rhythms and textural layerings are mind-boggling..a considerable achievement.”
Stephen Pettit (Evening Standard)

SOURCE

He has written atleast 3 operas, "The Snow Queen" (1994), "Jonah" (1995) and "On London Fields" (2004), 1 oratorio, "Gethsemane" (1998), along with instrumental music for string quartets and orchestras. How these pieces sound on the other hand is a mistery to me. Many composers today dont have their music very accessible on the internet. I have tried to google him with 2-3 variations and came up empty. All youtube searches have also ended in failure.

Though I do respect the efforts to minimise income loss to internet piracy, it is a great downside for me. I need to hear if we suit eachother as student/professor, it´s not enough to read that he is successful, without doubting those remarks. Hopefully I will stumble across some samples soon.

I did find one artice about a piece of his in the Independent, though it´s mostly about the programme notes. Still, an interesting read. Usually, I tend to write to many programme notes, or want to.

"A GERMAN music college has a course for composers on stage deportment - thanking conductors and principal performers, acknowledging applause without hogging it, getting off the stage before the clapping stops. All useful stuff; but a course on how, or how not to write programme notes might be even more useful".

The whole article is here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/classical-too-many-notes-mr-king-too-many-notes-1167791.html

No comments: