Friday, February 17, 2012

A sonic postcard



Last tuesday my group, group 2, finished our sonic postcard assignment and presented it for the other groups. Fun process but it´s good to have it over with.

We, and then I meen myself, Irum Fazal (my poet) and our singers: Matthew Mcguigen and Claire Grace Candy, went to Soho and recorded about 30-40 min of random sounds and then I mixed it down into 2 min "postcard".

Other material we recorded separately at our homes and at Guildhall, School of music and Drama.

The main text comes from Völuspá, from the Icelandic Sagas, the poetic Edda.
Sé ég upp koma
öðru sinni
jörð úr ægi
iðjagræna.
Falla fossar,
flýgur örn yfir,
sá er á fjalli
fiska veiðir.

Sal sé ég standa
sólu fegri,
gulli þakinn
á Gimli.
Þar skulu dyggar
þjóðir byggja
og um alla daga
yndis njóta.
---
Now do I see | the earth anew
Rise all green | from the waves again;
The cataracts fall, | and the eagle flies,
And fish he catches | beneath the cliffs.

More fair than the sun, | a hall I see,
Roofed with gold, | on Gimle it stands;
There shall the righteous | rulers dwell,
And happiness ever | there shall they have.
If you are interested then here you´ll find a video from voicework´s introduction meeting in october last year (you can see me sitting there in the back... yay).

No comments: