Thursday, December 22, 2011

The GuitarViol

I saw an online show today called "On the score".  

"In this edition of "On the Score", Jonathan Wilson (creator of the TogaMan GuitarViol) visits the studio of film/TV composer Kevin Kiner (CSI Miami, Clone Wars, and AMC's new series "Hell on Wheels"".

A quite interesting show which I will most likely watch more of in the future (see last video).

Mostly they discuss instruments like the GuitarViol, a new instrument, roughly a mix of a guitar and a cello/viola. Here is the official website: http://www.togamanguitars.com

A very beautiful instrument. And the most beautiful part is that it´s tuned as a guitar [EADGBE] so guitarists all over the world must craving one of these. For me, a non-guitar-playing composer, it´s a very interesting folk-y sound and the pedal / electronic possibilities make it just the thing I´ve been looking for. I´ve wanted to write the electric guitar into my ensemble for awhile but never really found the right sound in my head until now. Maybe double the guitarviol with a standard electronic guitar with a small string orchestra, some winds and percussion. An idea in the making...

Jonathan obviously knows more about this than I do so I´ll pass the ball over to him:




No comments: