Thursday, December 1, 2011

Day of Icelandic Music

I just have to take a small brake from my school projects to celebrate the day of Icelandic music with you all by sharing some music. I hope you enjoy.

Here are samples from 3 categories.

1. Pop/Rock
2.Folk
3.Classical

1. Agent Fresco - A long time listening (I must recommend 480p resolution)



2. [Unknown] - Ólafur Liljurós (Olaf the Lilyrose)



3. Páll Ísólfsson - Brennið þið vitar (Loosely translated: Light my way lighthouses)




But what is new with me you ask? Yesterday I finished 2 major projects. My piece for 2 pianos, "Burned Alive", was presented in an open workshop at Guildhall and the deadline for my commission for Elektra Ensemble ran out. It´s a piece for flute, clarinet, piano, violin and cello and got the title "Hálfgerðir Hringir" or "So-Called Cycles" since I based it on a series of cycles I made, some were cycles of harmony, others of techniques, yet others of rythms and so on. These cycles interact differently with each other depending on how their "cogs" meet.

When I found myself braking my own "rule of cycles" again and again I changed the title from "Hringir" ("Cycles") to "Hálfgerðir Hringir" ("So-Called Cycles"). There are 2 reasons for these rule violations: Aesthetics and lack of time. Maður verður að haga seglum sínum eftir vindi.

My dear performers of "Burned Alive", Siwan Ryhs and Ricardo Gosalbo, have offered to record the piece with me soon. That I am looking very much forward to.

Kærar kveðjur / Best wishes
-Helgi

No comments: