Saturday, March 30, 2013

Like-minded friend: Debussy

Tonight I found a somewhat concurrent / like-minded friend in Debussy when reading his views on the opera form:



Looking back in 1902, Debussy explained the protracted genesis of his only finished opera: "For a long time I had been striving to write music for the theatre, but the form in which I wanted it to be was so unusual that after several attempts I had given up on the idea." 

Debussy was already formulating a new conception of opera. In a letter to Ernest Guiraud in 1890 he wrote: "The ideal would be two associated dreams. No time, no place. No big scene [...] Music in opera is far too predominant. Too much singing and the musical settings are too cumbersome [...] My idea is of a short libretto with mobile scenes. No discussion or arguments between the characters whom I see at the mercy of life or destiny."

source: WIKIPEDIA

I myself have only recently overcome my stubbornness and pouting regarding the operatic form (without ceasing being critical). To have the earning to write dramatic vocal music for stage, but not finding a place for your ideas within the present genres in society can be quite frustrating and confusing when you dont have the experience or knowledge to untangle your ambitions from reality and finally become organised ... I´m getting there.

I have not seen Debussy´s "Pelléas et Mélisande" live (his only finished opera) but I have heard the piece,

conducted by Pierre Boulez (which means it´s either the ´69 in Covent Garden or the Welsh National Opera in ´92 - as far as I know). Despite being in agreement on a few ideological aspects, I cant say that our musical interpretation/approach is essentially the same or similar when it comes to setting libretti, but I do enjoy his somewhat effortless sonic sceneries.



No comments: