Tuesday, October 16, 2012

NewDots: small interview

New dots (http://www.newdots.org.uk/), who are producing a concert this November 20th, at the Forge, Camden (http://www.forgevenue.org/) with my piece Become (a duet) (later re-titled Castle In Air (Loftkastali) for viola and piano), interviewed me today over email. You can listen to the piece here: https://soundcloud.com/helgirafn/become-a-duet-1?in=helgirafn/sets/chamber-orchestral

  • Which composers have been most influential on your work?
-For "Become (a duet)" I was mostly influenced by Arvo Pärt, Ligeti, Prokofiev and Rachmaninoff. Other composers that have influenced me is the Icelandic composer Jón Leifs, Dufay, Josquin des Prez, Abrahamsen, Salonen, Nielsen and jazz composers like Thad Jones, to name a few.
 
  • Outside of music what fascinates you?
-Cycling is somewhat of a hobby and being outside in the countryside is very important to me. That´s where I recharge my batteries. I still havent combined these two interests and cycled in, or to, the country. That´s  something I should do next spring.
 
  • How would you describe your music?
 -I´m still working on my personal style, but I became significally closer to it last term with pieces like "Become (a duet)" and "Penelopeia" for pierrot ensemble and bowed piano. I´d rather not introduce a half-cooked phrase at this time. Stay tuned.
 
  • What are you currently working on?
-This term I´m starting concept work for a new opera which will be produced by Guildhall, School of Music and Drama and performed sometime in the fall of 2013 or spring 2014, most likely in the Courtauld Gallery, London. (Update: premiere confirmed July 12th 2015, Courtauld Gallery, Somerset House, 4:30pm (semi-staged). 2nd and 3rd performance at the Tété-á-Tété: Opera festival July 30th and 31st, Westminster Kingsway College Theatre 7:45pm).





No comments: