Sunday, September 25, 2011

Piano piece in one week

Hello hello

My 1st assignment at Guildhall is going well. Like always, it has had it´s ups and downs. Today was an OK "up" day. Only 2 days to go untill final deadline. The poor pianists must have some time to rehearse before the performance at the Barbican Centre the 30th.

Initially I was gona present my piece "Syndadansinn" (The dance of sins) for this but everyone had to write a completely new piece in this 1st week, wich makes more sense and is more fun. It had crossed my mind, but I needed to re-write "syndadansinn" anyway so it seemed like a good excuse.

To get us started Julian Phillips (head of composition) and Pamela Lidiard (deputy head of keyboard studies) set us up with some short Stravinsky piano pieces for 2 players where one part is very easy and the other one more challenging, and these pieces were divided amongst pairs of pianists and composers and performed on the spot. I cant say that I delivered perfectly despite the very easy part I got in a Polka Tune, since sight-reading for piano has never been my strongest of virtues. But we got through it and had a bit of fun. I must say that the PG pianists are very talented and I consider myself very lucky to get to work with them.

We were to take atleast one aspect/motif from the piece we were assigned and use it in the final verion of ours. I took a G clef 16th note ornament and turned it into a slow tempo F clef bass line.

Earlier I talked about ups and downs. Here are some pictures from days I would most definitely call "up" days. 1st one is taken in Clissold Park about 2 days ago were I went to get some clear air and come up with a rythm matter:


Second picture taken in room 127, if I recall correctly, today.


Tomorrow I´ll wake up at 5:30am and be at GSMD at 7:00am , work till 12pm approx, rehearse with Mishka (my pianist) at 1pm and after that is a session with all 1st year PG (postgraduate) composers and Julian Phillips till 6pm.

Life is good !

No comments: