Thursday, May 19, 2011

Teacher glossary #1: Julian Phillips

Ive been looking into the faculty at Guildhall for next fall, and mostly mr. Julian Phillips who is the head of the composition department. I found a video where he discusses opera writing in general and his piece Knight Crew(see video downbelow). I can very much relate to what he says about the feeling where you dont feel as you are writing the music, rather being told what to do by the characters and the story. Thats when the magic starts to happen.

May I also recommend the following video Knight Crew - Making of. All very interesting I think, since I am very occupied with the idea of my next opera these days (my nr.2).

I´ve found an interesting story to look into, planning to buy the book as soon as possible and read it whilst working in Sweden this summer. Been looking into loads of different types of stories and myths but it needs to be the right mixture of parables, realism and adventure. Like Phillips says rightfully: "starting work on an opera, right from the very beginning, is a funny mixture of real excitement and terror, because its just a huge amount of work."

It would be fun to access more information about new operas. I guess that wont be a problem once I gain access to the library at the Barbican centre next door to Guildhall. I peeked inside when I had my interview in december 2010 at GSMD and the amount they had of scores and other documents was thrilling. Maybe normal amount for UK scales, I dont know, but huge in Icelandic scale.

Knight Crew - Meet the Composer from glyndebourne education on Vimeo.



The Making of Knight Crew from glyndebourne education on Vimeo.