Saturday, May 12, 2012

1st ever working MAX patch

It´s true. I´m making my 1st ever working MAX patch. I did make some very basic ones in LHÍ (Iceland academy of the Arts www.lhi.is) but never to support a performance. This patch I´m making now is for my solo Bassoon piece, titled Pan-dora: The uncooperative machine. I´m very proud of myself if I may say so and I´ll share with you my patch once it´s ready.

For you who are familiar with MAX: In short, the concept is that the performer needs to trigger 3 different sound files at 3 different times during the piece by playing into a mic. At the end she triggers a random number generator where each number is allocated to a sound and a random beat is created.

The tricky part was to set the patch up so that each of the sounds is only played solo, each sound is only played once and to have them all triggered by the same input.

I seem to have managed that. Now we, me and the performer: Ruth Hardwick, need to do some leveling and balancing of the music to make sure everything runs smooth when it´s premiered June 1st.

On a more personal note, the weather in Hackney is lovely today so I´d better whip up some homemade lambburgers to BBQ tonight !



Have a good one

Best wishes
-Helgi


No comments: