Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Voiceworks 2012 : Titles

Our voiceworks piece has been titled "Ground: a dialogue study".

In what ways is it possible to present a dialogue?

We have the dialogue between two persons, a dialogue between a voice and an instrument (in this case, the trombone), consonants with vowels, duet with duet, melody with melody, different speeds in speech and more...

To elaborate on the title I´ll copy-paste here a conversation (or dialogue if you will) between myself and our poet, Irum Fazal, on the 26th of January on our facebook group page.

Helgi: Maybe its to soon for this, but I just had to share this idea for a title for our piece: "Meeting place" or "no man's land" or both: "Meeting place; no man's land". I took it from one of Irums texts. We could play around with this idea and make it better if you come up with something later on. I just thought i'd throw it out there.

Irum: Thank you for suggesting this Helgi, it has made me think about titles and what they do, picking out those words has made me see they were the most important part of that text, and they weirdly encapsulate much of what we have been discussing -- I think from them 'ground' compacts further while also opening out. Whereas usually I avoid titles until the end and treat them as mini conclusions because I can feel constrained.

It ties in with what else we have been saying about voice from deep inside, obviously place, earth tribal, and the structure of building up/ disintegrating, crumbling down. And its movement, as one half of a pair, there's an immediate springing effect: I've previously performed Simone Weil's 'Gravity and Grace', and it makes me think of Samuel Beckett's interest in the world being understood in terms of 'Figures' that emerge from 'Grounds'...it cements while creating channels for what we've done so far.


this entry and others can also be view at my group´s blog : http://blogs.voiceworks.org.uk/1112/grouptwo/

Best wishes
-Helgi

No comments: